Thursday, April 12, 2007

Conceptual vs. Commercial

I recall the course title for this class to be Topics of Contemporary Photography. When we were first given the assignment for our presentations, the directions were to pick a PHOTOGRAPHER of our choice to present. This is the reason I chose the PHOTOGRAPHER Timothy White to present, not becasue I'm in love with his work, but because I think he is an amazing person and has a lot to offer an individual. I was fortunate enough to intern for him over Christmas break and I know that he has taught me alot, maybe not about taking pictures, but about the repoire you must have with clients to be successful in your career. Everyone in this class will try to obtain a career at some point in their life, and if you don't have the social skills or business knowledge to go about doing that, you're basically fucked. I don't believe I am at the wrong school for what I want to pursue in my future because I do need to be conceptually educated. I was actually complaining to Timothy White about the fact that this school is extremely conceptually based and not commercially at all. He turned around and said that it was important for me to be here, where I am today, because I have learned to have a keen eye for composing photographs. He explained that being at a commercial art school, one isn't always fortunate enough to obtain that artistic ability.

No comments: