Tuesday, April 17, 2007

appropriating is stealing

Appropriating images in my own opinion is definitely stealing. You are not paying the artist for their images that you are taking. Although you may not be making money off of your own work, it is still stealing! I'm not saying I never did it in college; I find that college students need to in order to learn from different artists. I'm not saying it's right though. Do you think that the artsits we are stealing from, stole from other artists when they were in school and learning? I believe they probably did. This isn't the first generation that all of a sudden steals images from other artists. You need to learn from somewhere and sometimes your professors just don't cut it. After we learn, hopefully noone has to appropriate images any longer, although some people still will and call it their own. I understand we recycle everything we can, but that's somebody's artwork!! Yeah, sure it's great to recycle certain things, but I don't think anyone would appreciate it if they were talented to create their own piece of artwork and then a few years down the road see someone take your work and then make money off of it!

No comments: